Friday, April 2, 2010

NOT EXACTLY TRADITIONAL

Easter is coming and I'm really looking forward to spending it with my family at Eric's house. I volunteered to bring the meal. I know I'm crazy but Jennifer is way too pregnant to be worrying about preparing dishes. I asked Keri for suggestions and she said we could pick up a pizza from Bambinelli's. Pizza for Easter?!! My mom would roll over in her grave. Easter dinner always consisted of a baked ham with pineapple rings on top and merachrino cherries in the middle of them. Neither of my kids has ever been a ham enthusiast though and they believe turkey is for Thanksgiving only. Since I don't eat much meat, I don't really care.

So, I must come up with an alternative. We are the people who have not a trace of Italian blood in us but have lasagne for Christmas dinner every year. So I tried to figure out what would appease all of us . The little ones are easy since they like mac and cheese which I make in a crock pot. I happened to be talking to a coworker who said she is making strombolis and she isn't Italian either. Hmmm, not too bad an idea -- she has assured me it's super simple. So, at 9:45 last night, I was in Publix buying frozen bread dough, onions, peppers, mushrooms, sausage and chicken and lots and lots of cheese to make two strombolis. I didn't mention my plans to Eric since a little surprise here and there is good for the soul.

This afternoon I had a message from my sweet son telling me they don't want me to go to any trouble and certainly don't want a ham or turkey. What they would really like is -- hold onto your seat -- a pizza from Bambinelli's. Where have I gone wrong!

Happy eating on Easter.

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

LOL Y'all are in the same book, just on different pages. Hope you had a great Easter!

BECKY said...

Hi Anita! I'm coming to you via Miss Cathy C.'s blog! I read your profile and see that you and I have a lot in common. For one....I LOVE the movie, The Best Years of our Lives, and hadn't thought of it when I posted my fav movies...but it's on there now! I also love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, Fanny Flagg, books about Ireland.... I guess you've read Maeve Binchy then? Have you read Rosamunde Pilcher? She's very similiar but her books are about Scotland. And Southern novels...Mary Kay Andrews and Michael Lee West?? Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like! Writergal53@aol.com.

anita said...

Thanks, Becky. I love that we love the same books and movies, and thanks for your e-mail address. I sent you one and hope it went through.