Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Happy Yarn

I most assuredly am not a crafter! I wish I were artistically talented so that I could create beautiful gifts for my family and friends. I do crochet but it is more of an obsessive lunacy than a creative venture and it is anyone's guess how the finished product will appear. I have one object in my living room that was supposed to be a throw. I failed to add a chain stitch at the end of each row, so it is a concave mass of yarn that looks like the shell of a turtle and actually makes a decent cocoon.

My beautiful little Kylie (granddaughter, aged 3) who wishes to be called by her "real" name, Princess Kylie, told me not long ago that she really likes pink and purple so, being a doting grandma, I told her I would make her something that's pink and purple. I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember the song, Purple People Eater, but that would probably aptly describe this project; I'm glad to say though that there isn't "one eye" or "one horn" on it.

I can't pick up a crochet hook in the summer -- it comes out when the weather is cooler and I can bury myself in mounds of soft yarn. The problem is my cat, Ambi, thinks that the yarn is her toy so as I wield the hook, she tries to chew the yarn; giving her her own supply doesn't divert her.

I can't stop adding rows so I went back to Walmart today to buy more yarn. A lovely sales person offered her assistance and gave her opinion when I asked. That was a unique experience in itself. A Walmart employee who is available, speaks English and offers help without being hunted down and tackled and then misunderstood?

The last time I was at a Walmart at a different location, I skirted the entire store looking for yarn, finally found a sales woman who didn't know where it was, so she found another employee who brought me to the other end of the store and pointed to a small appliance aisle. She said do you see it? I said, no, there is no yarn here, to which I was told, "Oh, yarn, I thought she said 'iron'." Back we went around to the section where I first started. So today, I felt like this woman was my new best friend and left positively giddy with yarn not only for Kylie but for my little guy, Logan, too.

Back in the '70's there was a very popular memoire, The Happy Hooker, by Xaviera Hollander, a wealthy madame on the Main Line of Philadelphia. There is an entirely different connation here but I do feel like one happy hooker as I turn skeins of yarn into some funky looking gifts for my babies.

4 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

The Happy Hooker! HaHa! I'm a sporadic crocheter, and a novice at that. It is relaxing, though, and I enjoy crocheting in the winter time. Toasty. :)

anita said...

Hi Lisa -- yes, it is best kept for the cold weather although my cat thinks it's a good activity anytime and has been sitting on it as I'm working on it. Good thing it's washable yarn!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Anita---I loved the way you describe it, as an "obsessive lunacy." That is the way I am with knitting. Unfortunately, I can only make scarves. Fat scarves. Skinny scarves. Long ones and shorter ones. It's theraputic, the no-brain-involved repetitive movement...

anita said...

Hi Sioux -- I can only do scarves too but if you keep going far enough the scarf becomes a blanket! And if you crochet three sides together, it become a purse. I don't know how to knit so you're way ahead of me.