Thursday, August 26, 2010

Memories of Katrina

WARNING: The following material may be hazardous to anyone vulnerable, sensitive or fearful that their good humor may be jeopardized. The producer of this blog does not wish to in way disturb or overly concern you about her mental state. She merely wishes to share her feelings with you knowing what kind, compassionate readers you are.

How's that for making you scared to continue to read?

As you are well aware, this is the fifth year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Good Morning America has been showing clips of the devastation wreaked on Louisiana and Mississippi during that time. The news coverage always affects me, both out of sympathy for those poor people and for my family. My husband Stan worked dilligently in procuring trucks and clean-up supplies to be sent to Mississippi for the restoration company where he was employed as their warehouse manager.

He and I would go to his daily radiation treatments at Emory (to which he insisted on driving) and he would be on his cell phone much of the way home, arranging for equipment to be shipped to the sites where employees from his company were stationed. He was totally committed to this effort and on the morning of August 31st, he struggled downstairs to watch the latest news details on Katrina. I told him I would see him in a little while. I was awakened an hour or so later by his cell phone. He had fallen asleep on the couch before turning on the tv. I told him that he was having some nap and not to scare me like that because he looked as if he were dead. He was.

Hurricane Katrina's ravages are still felt by many people: victims; those involved in rescue operations, and all who witnessed the horror on television and radio. It has a special significance for me. I still bear the scars of my personal destruction but I have to say that I have been blessed with peace and acceptance recently. I wish the same for all.

6 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Oh, Anita! I don't know what to say. What a shock for you, and how terrible a time that must have been. I did not know any of this. I'm so sorry. That you found "acceptance and peace" is surely something to be grateful for; it is a blessing you achieved it. God bless.

anita said...

Thanks, Lisa, I truly appreciate your saying that. I really have been blessed -- especially with good friends.

Jeno1094 said...

Thank you for sharing. I completely get what you are saying about peace and acceptance. It has taken me awhile to finally have peace in my life. Takes work to stay here but God willing we will! Love you. Jennifer

anita said...

Thanks, Jennifer. You and Eric and the kids give me so much joy, meaning and peace. Love you all.

Cathy C. Hall said...

Anita, is it horrible to say that this post made me smile? I mean, not the WHOLE thing, but you have a way about you...

Anyway, thought of you and Stan today. Thinking prayers and peace reached you. :-)

anita said...

Thanks, Cath, it's a compliment and thinking about him makes me laugh -- good memories.