Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Wear

How much longer will summer be here? We're in the South, so I guess another three months or so. I really like summer with so many beautiful flowers and trees in bloom and just the lazy daisy feeling that goes with it. Humidity and "warm days" of 99 degrees aren't even going to be mentioned! The problem I have with this season is summer clothes. I'm sure I sound like an idiot and should just wear whatever is comfortable but I'd rather not be the laughing stock of Georgia!

Summer clothes are designed for those lovely individuals who become golden brown even when lathered in SPF 45 and who have nothing to hide on their legs. Varicose veins or razor cuts wouldn't dream of marring those limbs. And some even sport discreet (?) tatoos. I know there are 101 products on the market to "simulate a tan." The one time I tried using one, I had orange stripes for a month and am not brave enough to go that route again, even with all the new and improved brands available.

Try to find a nice, light-weight pair of slacks or casual pants that reach the ankles, besides khakis. Capris and shorts are great -- for most people. It isn't the stores' fault; they can't sell what isn't produced and I am quite obviously in the minority with wanting to cover up.

Remember that old song "Itsy, Bitsy, Teeny, Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini'? That describes paranoid me when I look in the mirror at my pale, scarred bean poles sticking out from what appears on the hanger to be a cute garment. "And in the locker, she wanted to stay."

I don't want summer to end to soon but I sure do look forward to Fall clothes.

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Anita, you're so funny!

I wear capris to hide my icky spider veins. Ugh! I agree with you 100%. I love the summer flowers and blooms, but I prefer winter clothes (I'm a sweater lover). Soon...very soon...

anita said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks, it's nice not to feel like the only one looking forward to sweaters (my thing is turtlenecks!)

Cathy C. Hall said...

Alright, you two...you can take the Yankee out of the North...:-)

I'll admit to not wanting to wear sleeveless much anymore. But I think flabby arms beats pale and/or spider-vein dappled legs any day.

Y'all crack me up.