Thursday, June 10, 2010

YELLOW IS NOT THE NEW GREEN!

I don't know about you, but I receive a variety of yellow page directories way too often. They're all short and fat and claim to cover my local area, and some have the audacity to state that they are the best yellow pages. Hah! Today I needed to find the number for PetSmart near me because my dear kitty, Ambi, has a bad case of fleas and I refuse to pay what our vet charges for Front Line. I can hear you telling me to order a supply on-line for a fraction of the cost and you are absolutely right, and I will in the future. However, I need flea treatment and bomb NOW.

How hard could it be to locate a telephone number in a book devoted solely to providing telephone numers of businesses in my area? Two out of three of these current directories do not list that location at all; only "The Real Yellow Pages" does. Conversely, I haven't received a White Page directory in forever. There was a time when you would see some residential pages tossed in before the business listings but no longer, at least in my area. Go figure.

Then there is the case of using my home telephone for which service is provided by a huge, major company that is said on many commercials to reach anywhere in the country and I guess virtually every point beyond, outside of Mars. Maybe -- but only if you position yourself near my front door, otherwise the other party cannot hear you and you just hear fuzzy gibberish.

What is even better than getting another yellow page directory is discovering that it has been left by my front door which I never use. Invariably, I don't see it there until there has been a drenching rain and a soggy mess is sprawled on my welcome mat -- not welcoming at all! I think there is some connection to these deliveries and downpours!!!

Think green and good luck if you have to look something up in the phone book.

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Ha Ha! Funny post, and you are so right! We get all manner of "yellow pages" also, which go right into the recycle bin. I'm an avowed Googler. I Google everything, including phone numbers. I'd like to claim this is due to my technological know-how. Alas, it mostly has to do with age and not being able to read the fine print in the phone book!

Cathy C. Hall said...

Oh my gosh- I didn't find my yellow pages for a few days, either! I mean, there are actual cobwebs on my front door-

I'm like Lisa-I look everything up on the Internet. Mostly because I'm too lazy to look for wherever I stashed the phone book.

P.S. You made me laugh out loud today, aj. And that makes this a good day. :-)

anita said...

Hi guys -- sorry, y'all! I also look up everything on Google but I am without computer at the moment since my two old ones stopped working and Keri has flown the coop (closer to her job which is good) with computer. Have a wonderful weekend.