Friday, October 23, 2009

Time for Change

Time for another learning experience -- motherly euphanism for "Oh, my God, what are we in for now?"! Anyone who has ever had kids probably knows to expect the unexpected and my daughter Keri will probably be re-teaching me that lesson for the next 30 years, should I survive that long.

Having departed a teaching job at a rough middle school in Dekalb County, we were delighted when she secured a position teaching fourth grade at a nearby school in August. My sighs of relief were replaced by stomach-clenching nerves recently as I witnessed her anxiety and despair over the stress and pressures of the educational system. Not one to wallow in misery for very long, Keri is in the throes of pursuing volunteer work in a foreign country. She isn't one to allow lack of income to deter her. At least it is with a missionary group that I'm familiar with since they are headquartered in New Rochelle, NY, where I'm from, and located across the street from where my dad worked for many years. "Danger" never flusters my daring daughter, while I can't even watch "24" by msyelf because I get scared to death.

The good thing about all of this frustration is that both Keri and I are feeling at peace now and are experiencing some "meant to be" moments. Of course, there are many details to be worked out, such as acceptance, and money to be earned in order to fly to training sessions in California and the actual mission site which could be Bolivia or one of various points in South America and Africa.

A couple of days ago, I read a quote from a prayer by St. Therese about not worrying, because "You won't abandon me." Amen.

4 comments:

Cathy C. Hall said...

Ah, the joys of motherhood. Try not to worry (she said with a knowing smile).

"All will be well."

anita said...

That will be my new mantra: All will be well! Thanks, Cath -- I need a fix of your humor and optimism over lunch some time soon!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

My brother, who is one of those people who wakes up cheerful and stays that way no matter what, has a favorite saying: "You never know what the next tide will bring." Every day is an adventure, and it sounds as though your daughter is riding that wave in a wonderful way. God bless you both.

anita said...

Thanks, Lisa. I like your brother's saying and it is so true. Keri definitely loves an adventure and is ready to jump in as the next wave hits. I prefer calm waters.

I love your piece about your haircut -- both the style and color sound great; post a picture so we can ooh and aah. I just got a call saying Gloria who cuts my hair is out sick. So am I so it works out okay. This gives me a chance to hide some of my gray before she sees me and silently tsk tsks about the way I let things go. She is far too polite to say that though. Looking forward to reading your next piece.