Saturday, October 3, 2009

Autumn is here!

Wow, September flew by before I truly appreciated it, but October is beautiful. What bad things can you say about a month that starts out with the feast day of St. Therese, the Little Flower, on the first and of the Guardian Angels on the second? My Catholic school roots are showing as much as my gray ones!

My son Eric loves October because it's synonymous with UGA football and every other team, college or pro, that ever crossed a field. Keri, now a fourth grade teacher in Snellville, is excited that the first quarter is almost done and can't wait for the Beer Festival in Decatur. October makes me remember various foods: apple cider, pumpkin pie, the turnips (frozen) my mom used to mash with potatoes, and the best apple pie I've ever eaten that we'd get at Wallabee Farms in Pennsylvania when we lived there. We even gladly endured the smell of cow manure as we trudged to the barn/shop where they sold wonderful, home-made ice cream as well as the pies. My dad was just telling me last week that he loved going to my brother's youth football games on Saturday mornings and now goes to watch his grandson play.

October is a time for memories, pretty flowers and yummy foods - not too bad a reputation for a month.

3 comments:

Cathy C. Hall said...

Holy apple pie! I'm starving now :-) (And October always makes me think of the rosary.)

anita said...

Well, tomorrow is your day since Oct. 7th is the feast of the Holy Rosary. Please say one of your beads for my daughter, the teacher, to hang in there. One of her male fourth graders cries every day and two little girls pick on each other all the time. Patience is truly a virtue and I hope Mary helps her to acquire some.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

MMmmmm....October is one of my favorite months. I grew up in New England, which is pretty hard to beat for beauty in October. The apple pie sounds yum, and I'd love to try your mom's mashed taters.