Monday, September 5, 2011

Name Game

Did you ever look up your name on Google just for the heck of it? Depending on how common your surname is, there are bound to be at least a few other individuals listed.

As you know, I have the last name of Johnson, so even with the rather different first name of Anita, I expected to see a number of ladies so named. I wasn't thrilled to see that my name is defined in the urban dictionary as a woman in need of sex! I had been introduced to someone a while ago and he laughed when he heard my name but at least was gracious enough not to explain why. Well, obviously his manners weren't that great since he laughed.

I then limited my search to Anita M. Johnson and found that I could view her criminal records in seconds. Another listing showed a person with that name had recentlly died. I found all three listings to be quite depressing but then did see some smiling faces with that name on Facebook. Not one of them appears to be either a sexual savage, behind bars or dead.

Shakespeare's Juliet said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet." Or in the words of Popeye, "I yam what I yam."

If you can't judge a book by its cover, I guess you can't judge a person by her name. Thank goodness for that.

1 comment:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Funny! I had a weird name experience recently. I do medical transcription. So there I sat, hands poised to type, and the doctor's voice announced the patient's name. MY NAME! First name Lisa; last was my maiden name. I jumped and listened again. Sure enough. It was so odd to type a medical report on someone with my name who isn't me. LOL I Googled her and was so surprised to learn she is a writer! What are the odds?