Wednesday, February 10, 2010

TRUTH STRANGER THAN FICTION

I am happily reading a brand new book, The Brightest Star in the Sky, by one of my favorite Irish lasses, Marian Keyes. She is witty, even makes me laugh out loud at times, and is very insightful about human nature. Okay, not so unusual for a good writer -- can evoke emotions, entertain and show astute perception. What is surprising is that, according to her blog, she is suffering from depression and has been for some time.

I guess the book could have been written before her current bout, especially since books from the UK often are delayed with being released in the US. Her husband, whom she refers to as "himself," sends out her monthly blog and reports on terrific recent sales. He is most definitely not suffering from depression!

It's almost like hearing that a friend is sick. When you follow an author's works, you feel like you know that person through her characters, don't you? I found myself saying a little prayer for her -- maybe selfishly because I don't want her to stop writing -- but also because she is a truly funny, kind woman.

During my most cheerful moments, I couldn't compose one line as good as hers, no less many novels as well as a couple of collections of humorous essays (Under the Duvet and Cracks in My Foundation).

As we approach St. Patrick's Day, I hope her black cloud disappears and she is filled with the joy that she brings to her readers.

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I often hear of writers who suffer from depression, though their works do not reflect it. Depression can be so debilitating that I believe it must take great spirit to push past it for writing's sake. Ms. Keyes is lucky to have so compassionate a fan. Thanks for writing about her - I'll have to check her out.

anita said...

Thanks, Lisa. Marian is able to laugh at herself and it shows through her work despite any problems she's experiencing.

Cathy C. Hall said...

I know exactly what you mean...I was looking for something about my very favorite writer and found that she struggles with manic depression.

I said a prayer right then and there...but I wonder. Would she be as wonderful a writer if she were "normal"?